Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stephenie Meyer's Twilight

Few days ago, I stumbled upon an article about this incoming movie called Twilight, which is a love story with a bite. It interested me more when I found out that Robert Pattinson (who played Cedric Diggory in the film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) stars in this adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's best-selling novel as the lead character (and vampire) Edward Cullen. I got doubly excited, as a big Harry Potter fan, when the article mentioned that the Twilight series could be the next Harry Potter. Though some may argue that Twilight is bad literature, students of Comparative Literature Studies at online colleges think that Twilight is good literature because of its readership.

It has been a while already since the last time I actually took time to read a book in its entirety, and Jessica Zafra recently inspired me (through her article in The Philippine Star) to consider doing that again. (Thanks to you, Ms. Zafra. That's the first time I've seen your column, too, and I can't simply ignore this line: "If people do not read, they do not develop their critical faculties." It's hard to admit, but I got scared I might lose my wit, too. *LOL*) I was blabbing about the Twilight series to a friend who probably thought I'm sort of obssessed. But he surprised me the next day when he approached me with a wrapped gift from Fully Booked, and even before I got the chance to actually hold it, I knew it was Stephenie Meyer inside. Sweet. Here's a little trivia: The Filipino vampire Danag was briefly mentioned in Chapter 7.

1 comment:

Reyville of Simply Manila said...

Where are all the Cedric Diggory fanatics?